Civil Union Licenses

A license to civil union in Colorado may be obtained during regular business hours, in accordance with the requirements outlined below. The license is valid upon issue and must be used in Colorado, within 35 days. The fee is $30.00. For additional information, please review the Guidelines for Obtaining Civil Union Licenses in Colorado below or contact the Recording Department at 970-542-3521.

For your convenience, the Application, Legal Guardian Consent Form, the Affidavit Concerning Social Security Number and the Absentee Affidavit are provided in Adobe Acrobat format and may be printed out and completed prior to your visit to the Recording Department.


Kevin Strauch, Morgan County Clerk

231 Ensign Street, P.O. Box 1399
Fort Morgan, CO 80751

Phone: 970-542-3521
Fax: 970-542-3553

Guidelines for Obtaining Civil Union Licenses


Same for both parties

Civil unions are prohibited for anyone under the age of 18. If you are over the age of 18, and under legal guardianship, written consent of your guardian(s) must be obtained prior to the issuance of a civil union license. A signed and notarized Consent Form must be submitted at the time of application.

Consent Form

Valid ID must be furnished by both parties and must be originals, no copies accepted.

The following are all valid forms of ID:

  • Passports
  • Driver's licenses
  • Birth certificates
    Copies available at:
    Northeast Colorado Health Department
    228 W. Railroad Ave.
    Fort Morgan, CO 80701
  • Military identification cards

(Contact a Recording Clerk for additional acceptable forms of ID.)

Social Security Numbers ARE required on civil union license applications (C.R.S. 14-14-113).

If a party does not have a Social Security Number, the Affidavit must be completed and submitted at time of application for a civil union license. It may be signed and notarized in advance or signed in front of the Deputy County Clerk at time of application.

Civil Union licenses will NOT be issued

  • A couple is prohibited from entering into a civil union when one of the parties is still married, or party to a civil union, with another person. Divorces/Dissolutions must be final.
  • Civil unions are also prohibited regardless of whether the relationship is by half or whole blood between:
    • ancestor and descendant
    • brother and sister
    • uncle and niece
    • aunt and nephew
  • A civil union between cousins IS permitted in the State of Colorado.

Witnesses are NOT required in Colorado. Some clergy, judges, or public officials may request them.

  • Both parties must complete and sign the civil union application form. At least ONE of the parties must apply IN PERSON before the Recording staff. If one of the parties cannot appear in person, he or she MUST complete an Absentee Affidavit with a notarized signature and provide a copy of valid identification showing proof of age of the absent party.
  • If either party has married or party to a civil union previously, we require the date, place and type of court where the divorce/dissolution took place. Widows/widowers need to supply the date and place of death of their former spouse/partner. You will also need to provide the name of your previous spouse/partner.
  • Applicants for a civil union license need not be Colorado residents.

Civil union licenses issued in the State of Colorado cannot be used in any other state or country. Couples themselves may certify their own civil union (C.R.S. 14-15-112). Others who can certify a civil union are judges, retired judges, magistrates, Indian tribe officials and clergy. Although the couple may certify their own civil union, that does not mean a friend or relative can sign as an officiant on a civil union certificate. Clergy or judges from out-of-state need not be registered in Colorado.

To make an appointment with a judge who performs civil unions in Morgan County, call 720-219-9691.



The person certifying the civil union shall complete the civil union certificate form and forward it to the Clerk &, Recorder's Office within sixty-three days (63) after certifying. Any person who fails to forward the civil union certificate to the Clerk and Recorder's Office shall be required to pay a $20.00 LATE FEE and an additional $5.00 LATE FEE may be assessed for each additional day of failure up to a MAXIMUM of $50.00. If the couple does not use the license, it still needs to be returned for proper recording. If not returned, it can also be subject to a $50.00 late fee.

Please return all civil union license/certificates to:

Morgan County Clerk and Recorder
ATTN: Recording Department
P.O. Box 1399
Fort Morgan, CO 80701

Civil union certificates must include the county and city where the civil union took place, the date of the civil union, the officiating party's signature and title and the parties' signatures.

Civil Union Copies

$0.25 per license/$0.25 per application.
Certified is an additional $1.00 per document.

For copies to be returned by mail, the following additional postage and handling fees apply:
1-10 Pages - $5.00

Request for Civil Union License/Certificate Copy Form

A Request for Civil Union Application Copy Form, along with valid form of identification, is required to obtain a copy of a civil union application.

Name Change

Your civil union license must be returned and recorded before any name change can occur.

Name Change Contact Information


Social Security

The Social Security Administration provides information regarding Social Security card name changes.

Phone: 1-800-772-1213
The closest Social Security Office is located at:
Weld County Social Security Office
4500 W. 11th Street - Suite A
Greeley, CO 80632
970-353-1292 or 1-877-405-9195

Driver's License

The Colorado Department of Revenue provides name change requirements for Driver's Licenses.

Fort Morgan Office:
231 Prospect Street
Fort Morgan, CO 80701

Local Passport Acceptance Facilities

For information regarding a passport name change, you may access the U.S. Department of State website.